Otter Award Program
Hello Rockwell Beagles from the Library,
What is the Otter Award? (Acronym: Our Time To Enjoy Reading)
This Washington State Award is given yearly to a transitional chapter book starting in 2017. The award is sponsored by Washington Library Association's School Library Division and is voted upon by students in Washington State.
How does the program work?
Each year the WLA publishes its new list of 6 nominated transitional chapter books. Rockwell library purchases several copies of each of these 6 titles. The Librarian reads them aloud to 2nd and 3rd grade all year. Students also have the opportunity to check out copies to read at home. In the Spring, the students get to vote for their favorite. Those votes are added to the all the other votes from Washington state to find a winner!
Want to learn more? Check out the WLA webpage for the OTTER Award;
This year's nominees (2024)
Aven Green, Sleuthing Machine - by Dusti Bowling, illustrated by Gina Perry
· Planetary-YUM (Waffles and Pancake, book 1) by Drew Brockington
· Blast Off! (Abby in Orbit, book 1) by Andrea J. Loney, illustrated by Fuuji Takashi
· Awesome Orange Birthday (The Party Diaries, book 1) by Mitali Banerjee Ruths, Illustrated by Aaliya Jaleel
· My Kingdom of Darkness (Pet Rule, Book 1) by Susan Tan, Illustrated by Wendy Tan Shiau Wei
· The Underdogs (Underdogs, Book 1) by Tracey West, illustrated by Kyla May